Tuesday 21 December 2010

Could only happen when it is cold outside.

Within the space of an hour this afternoon I discover that the boiler is broken and the car wouldn't start. This was about 3pm. I had been looking forward to my trip to asda for a couple of days - I could get out of the house away from the crazy kids, and now I couldn't go. This made me a bit glum. Either one of these events would be enough to put a downer on things, but with both together you feel like there is some sort of conspiracy again you. So I played a bit of Super Monkey Balls Banana Blitz, and then came to the conclusion that I couldn't put it off any longer and had to call some people to help me out. The breakdown people say they will get here at 18:50. That's like four hours away, but at least I get to stay in the warmth.

The boiler isn't completely knackered, which is something. You can only get hot water when the heating is on. Next, I pick an advert in the Yellow Pages for a boiler, I thought it would be a safe bet to choose a really big one that says "one hour response" on it. One hour response, remember that. So I call them up and the first day they can come out is the 30th of December. That is like 9 days away. I guess we will have to spend Christmas turning the heating on and off all the time so that we can shower and wash up and not roast to a crisp.

At about 430 we get a call to say the breakdown guy will be here with in 8 minutes. So I wait 6 minutes and go out to start scraping away the ice from the car. After another 10 minutes a big car rolls up. I see the driver fiddling with some paper and wearing a yellow high-visibility vest. This got my hopes up, I keep looking over and scraping away. The driver gets out, says "evening" and walks into his house. Grr...

After another 15 minutes I go back into the house because it is freezing. But then things start to get a little better. The guy actually turns up and gets the car going, then I get to go to Asda and do some shopping.

Asda is always interesting. I decided to turn down the Asda basic range shaving foam (68p) - I would be too scared to put that mixture of chemical fun on my delicate skin. I did risk the budget branflakes. We will have to see what they are like.

On a completely unrelated note, in the NFL game last night Gary Imlach says to Mike Carlson, "At the risk of giving you possibly the funniest straight line of your career, Bill Belichick freezes the balls before practice". Funny in and of itself, but I am still trying to work out what the response is supposed to be.

2 comments:

  1. Unrelated to your cold weather troubles, but why mheisdsdaegne?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Answer 1, I tried a few obvious things like "Coughing Fit" or "Big Jim" but they were all taken. So I quickly jumped to a sequence of characters that I didn't think would have been taken - and I was right.

    I sort of regret it now, because it makes it a bit harder for people to find.

    Answer 2, It is my password. Only kidding!

    Answer 3, Can you find the hidden message?

    ReplyDelete