Saturday 21 May 2011

Shopping

Went to ASDA today, mostly to show we have no loyalty to any particular supermarket. You can see the giant ASDA triangle from all around calling shoppers to worship in the aisles like a Muezzin calling people to prayer from a minaret. It's been a while since I was there, so I noticed all kinds of new things.


I was way impressed with the baby changing room. It had complimentary nappies and wipes, which was awesome. As well as being big and clean and what not. Certainly better than having to tie my baby to a shelf in the toilet of a moving train. I bought myself an "All day breakfast" pizza, which I will eat later. And here-in lies one of the many mysteries of ASDA . How come you can get a small pizza for £2.48, and a large pizza for £3.18. The large pizza is like eight times the size, and as I was comparing thin-crust with deep-pan I reckon the extra 70p would give me a pizza with twenty-six times the mass of the cheaper one. It makes no sense, just pay 70p extra and eat pizza all week.

Later on in our shopping tour I discovered an electronic sommelier. I had to try it out. Apparently the best wine to go with ASDA -made all-day-breakfast pizza is ASDA brand Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon. I don't know what that is, but it sounds impressive.

Am planning on making cauliflower-cheese again tonight.

1 comment:

  1. All-day breakfast pizza does sound pretty wicked, but my new favourite supermarket is Morissons in Kirkstall. I went there yesterday evening and was almost overwhelmed by the range of fresh produce on display. Needless to say I went overboard and came home with bags of things I had no idea what do with. I got a whole Steirischer Kren (Styrian horseradish), which I'm not what to do with but may need to pickle. I also got some little knobbly mushrooms which reminded me of the ones you used to be able to get from Sugarlump in the Corn Exchange (before they ruined it), but sadly without the same effect. This evening I cooked eddoes, which are a strange vegetable a little like taro, slimy under their rough skin and slightly irritant (my hands still itch). When boiled they turned into a sort of glutinous taste, an acquired taste maybe, popular in the Caribbean. More delicious was the salsify, crunchy and fresh tasting, I made them into little fritters (as recommended by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall) and they were wicked. Go on Morrisons!

    ReplyDelete