Monday 23 April 2012

Snooker Re-Rewind

It's snooker season again. Yay. Which has prompted me to think again about nicknames in snooker. In the past only the best or most popular players got nicknames.
  • The Nugget - Steve Davis
  • Alex "Hurricane" Higgins
  • The Whirlwind - Jimmy White
  • The Rocket - Ronnie O'Sullivan
  • Alan "Angles" McManus
  • Psycho - Peter Ebdon
My research has just turned up Alain "Scoobie" Robidoux.  That's a nickname. 
But for whatever reason, every player who gets onto TV these days needs a nickname. And they are really scraping the barrel with some of them. There are some apalling examples that I will spare you. Here are a couple of typical nicknames of modern players.
  • The Captain - Ali Carter
  • The Jester from Leicester - Mark Selby
... which naturally prompted me to give players my own nicknames. Here are my own suggestions.
  • Gypo - Anthony Hamilton
  • Stephen "Pies" Lee
  • Pizza Face - Steven Hendry
  • Pinhead - Graeme Dott
  • The greatest player never to win the world championship - Jimmy White

Sometimes, they come up with hilarious names for players in this modern era. Here are some of my favourites.
  • The Sherriff of Pottingham - Anthony Hamilton
  • Marco "Cue-man" Fu
  • Wenbo selecta - Liang Wenbo

No comments:

Post a Comment