Sunday 1 April 2012

Rhubarb: Part 3

My rhubarb arrived a few weeks ago. Not sure I have mentioned that yet. I planted it at the first opportunity, and it hasn't died yet. In fact it even has some little green bits on it, which can only be a good thing.

Rhubarb! In my garden!
Today marked the first day of the ice-cream making season. Or maybe last night if you want to get technical. I was inspired by a show about an ice-cream restaurant on the Food Network and kicked the season off with a completely improvised mojito ice-cream. It seems to have gone rather well. I started by making myself a custard base, but with brown sugar instead of white. Then I mashed up a load of mint leaves and let them infuse in the custard overnight. Then this morning I strained the leaves out, whisked in some rum and double cream and whacked it in the ice-cream maker. And can you believe it, it turned it into ice-cream. Amazing.

Then I remembered that mojitos have lime juice in them. Shit. I guess it was only a practice anyway.

Here are some pictures from my garden. Although there are a few weeds, and the ground is far too dry for this time of year, it actually looks sort of okay.

I like trees. In my time as a garden owner I have personally chopped down three, and got the professionals in to extract an equal number of massive conifers. On the other hand, I have planted this one tree. So I guess I have a net result of negative five trees.

Apparently this is what a peony looks like. I planted three, and one is growing. That is almost a  33% success rate.




1 comment:

  1. I beat you, I have a net result of zero trees, having removed nor planted any.

    Also, I once planted a sunflower, and that grew very well! So I'm on a 100% success rate for sunflowers (I may have been in primary school at the time).

    I think it's obvious from these figures that I'm the better gardener.

    ReplyDelete