Wednesday 28 March 2012

A train journey

The truth is, I thought it mattered - I thought that music mattered. But does it? Bollocks! Not compared to how people matter.
I think after all these years, I finally understand these words. (Obviously from the film "Brassed Off") I have been fantasizing about going to some awesome nightclub for a long time - since before I moved to a large city with an interesting nightlife. In the last few years it has started to dawn on me that such a nightclub does not exist. Not even in the most happening of cities.

This is completely down to changes in musical tastes. I could complain about how it was better in my day and try to hold on to how things were. That music was better back then. But, whatever, I don't need to do that. I barely scratched the surface of what was going on, even when it was my day.

So, tonight, I was sat on a train on my own, listening to music on my phone. Those friends that had bothered to turn up were on different trains going elsewhere. I realised that it isn't so much the music that is important, as the people you share it with. And of course, on this occasion I completely failed in both departments.

What I want is to hear some new music, music I don't know. And to let it take me wherever it will. And I want to share that experience. I guess this is the essence of the music I seek, but that no longer exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment