Saturday 25 February 2012

Beards and Legal Documents

Two unconnected events; but enough things have rubbed me up the wrong way today to warrant making a post.

I know I have already complained on here about having incredibly long documents to read from time to time, typically the terms and conditions when starting to use some new piece of software. I find insurance and credit cards not to be so bad. The ombudsmen have realised people never read the details and have been getting tricked, so those organisations now have to provide a simplified summary for people to read. Which is what I was doing. Then the stupid thing logged me out because I hadn't clicked on anything for over 60 seconds. I may not be the fastest reader in the world, but I think most people would struggle to read and take on all the information presented in those 60 seconds.

Then there is the fiasco of my beard. There are certain events coming up in the next weeks, each of which require a particular beard length. The problem is obviously that said length can be decreased quickly, but only increases at a fixed rate. Here are the events.

  1. Foreseeable future: No beard
  2. Costume for when I am forced to attend a fancy-dress party in two weeks: Beard
  3. Renew driving license photo: No beard, because of point 1 above. The timing of this can be changed a bit.
A plan was formed to have the appropriate beard for each event. I would shave off my beard immediately and get my driving license done as soon as possible. This would leave me two weeks to grow enough beard to match the character I am going to attempt at the social event of doom. I can then get rid of the beard and continue with no to moderate stubble until I decide to do Rasputin at the next party.


So I shave my beard off and spend good money buying the photos. Then I get to working properly through the DVLA form. This is where I discover I have made an error. Unknown to me at the time Mr Remington and I embarked on this plan, was the fact that you can renew your driving license using your passport photo. The government have actually done something useful with their website, and the two organisations (the passport people and the DVLA) seem capable of talking to each other. I end up having them put the photo from my passport (also beardless) on my new driving license. And of course there was actually no need for me to shave my beard off. I could have had any length beard for the party, but instead I have to hope that two weeks is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment