Saturday 26 March 2011

Jumping Jellyfish

It has just cost me some inordinate amount of money to get my car serviced so it will pass its MOT. I was disappointed to find out that the problems were caused by my car's low use. It occurs to me that it would have been cheeper for me and better for the environment if I had gone on pointless car journeys for no reason other than to use my car. I was doing some sums and reckon I could have spent £600 just driving around, using my brakes and charging my battery and done an extra 4000 miles. (Taking my mileage from a meagre 2k, to a more normal 6k.) In that event the car would (probably) have needed very little doing to it and I would have been quids in. Not only that, but it may end up been greener to use all the petrol than to manufacture new parts for my car and dispose of the old ones.

The insurance people called me up to try to sell me some extra things I didn't need. The guy asked if the car was running okay and I mentioned that it hadn't done so well in it's MOT. He said, "Yeah, they are getting very strict and can fail them for the smallest things these days." I thought it but didn't say it, "Yeah, like the brakes not working."

Explore, Rescue, Protect


In other news, I have still failed to change my broadband provider. Not only that, I have had a slow but uninterupted service since starting the transition proceedings 8 weeks ago. Which is good, considering at one time I was told my account was closed. Today I spoke to a lovely man called Ken who was quite helpful, so I have a renewed confidence that we can finally be removed from the evil ISP.

No comments:

Post a Comment