Sunday 27 March 2011

Crooked Cucumbers

Census time again. I liked that I could complete it online. However, I am not happy with some of the questions they made me answer about my 8 month old daughter.

Q18. What is your main language?
Q14. Do you look after family members, friends, neighbours or others because of long-term physical or mental ill-health / disability?

and my personal favourite

Q21. One year ago, what was your usual address?

There wasn't an option for "in utero".


I was reading on the internet how lots of people are expected to describe themselves as "Christian" but also say that they are not religious at all. I don't understand why people would do that when there is an option for "no religion". I get the impression that lots of people say the wrong thing when asked about their religious beliefs. People say "athiest" when the mean "agnostic". I believe there aren't many athiests around, but there are lots of people who don't give a shit. On a similar note, I reckon people are mis-using the word "ambivalent". Ambivalence is feeling conflicting emotions about a thing, and can be a very profound state, just like rage or love. It is not a disinterest (apathy) or undecidedness. I saw an emoticon for it somewhere between happy and sad :-| when I think it would be better to be a mixture of both. (What do you get if you mix some red balls and some yellow balls? You don't get a load of orange balls I can tell you that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment