Wednesday 27 July 2011

High pressure

Just been watching The Great British Weather on the BBC and felt I really should express the rage it caused me in the most public way I know how. (Hence this post...)

They seemed to assume that because I was British I wanted it to be hot and sunny. And then proceeded to tell me about all the places in the world where it is uncomfortably hot and how the sun is dangerous. I already knew that, which why I don't want it to be hot and sunny.

I already knew that it used to be fashionable to be pale, but that changed when the working classes moved from the fields to the factories. They failed to explain why so many people find it desirable to be tanned. I did learn that 59% of people in Liverpool use fake tan 5 times a year (or was it a month, I forget).


I really don't understand the appeal of heat. It just makes it difficult or uncomfortable to do simple tasks, like get where you are going, or cut the grass, or sleep. And I don't understand people's desire for tanned skin. I once knew a perfectly normal woman who was worrying about getting some fake tan before she went on holiday, with the justification,
"I can't possibly go sunbathing if I am all pale."


In other news, I had a productive day on Sunday. I did some gardening, and did all the usual things like make meals. I had a potter round the park with the family where I got to watch a few overs of cricket. Not only that, but I baked scones. The circle ones are regular scones with sultanas. The triangle ones are cheese. A jot of mustard makes them extra special.

No comments:

Post a Comment